The Most Important Meal of the Day
Mornings around here are always “A Pinch of Crazy”. My husband and I wake up around 5:30, and I try and sneak in some Bible reading time and possibly some stretchy yoga before Zemirah wakes up. When she wakes up around 6 (6:30 if I’m lucky, 7 if I’ve won the lottery), she hits the ground running; full of energy and immediately squealing “eeeat eeeat” over and over again, as I’m shuffling around in my slippers, gulping down my coffee, and trying to get us a healthy breakfast pulled together.
Breakfast meal prep helps us make wise choices even on the early, busy mornings. A lot of times I prep mason jars full of Peanut Butter and Chocolate Overnight Oats for David to grab and go…and to eliminate cooking from my morning, as I probably should not be trusted with flames before I finish my coffee. However, if we are craving something more hearty, I like to make a big breakfast bake to last all week. It keeps well in the fridge and reheats in the microwave! You can change it up by topping it with avocado, salsa, or hot sauce.
This can be made with a variety of vegetables, but I always like to include potatoes to help fill us up, and some form of greens. It’s always good to start your day with veggies! If made in an ovenproof skillet, it is a one pan meal, which is definitely a bonus! However, I have also cooked the filling separately, then transferred it all to a 9×9 baking pan. Either way, this healthy, hearty, on-the-go breakfast is fast, easy, and has minimal clean up!
Turkey Sausage Breakfast Bake
- Half a pound of turkey breakfast sausage (I like Jennie-O because there is not much sugar in it)
- Half an onion, diced
- Two cloves of garlic, minced
- Three medium/large red potatoes
- One cup (packed down) of chopped spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp pepper, divided
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Grease pan heavily with cooking spray/butter/coconut oil (we all know what a pain baked eggs are to clean)
- Cook turkey sausage, crumbling as you cook
- When almost cooked through, add potatoes, onion, and garlic
- Season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs
- Cover and cook on medium-low until potatoes are soft and onions are tender, stirring occasionally
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs and coconut milk, whisk until well combined
- Whisk in remaining salt and pepper and chopped spinach
- Pour over cooked sausage/potato mixture
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until the eggs are set
I hope this helps make your mornings run smoother and gets everyone off to a healthy start. Drink that second cup of coffee…and enjoy your pinch of crazy!