I have to admit that I’ve always been a brussels sprouts hater, but two years ago, my husband and I had a plate of fried brussels sprouts at a restaurant in Colorado that completely CHANGED MY LIFE! Okay, that’s dramatic, but they definitely changed my opinion on brussels sprouts; I saw the light and now love me some crispy brussies.
Brussels sprouts are high in vitamins K and C, fiber, and contain plenty of antioxidants, but deep frying them in oil kind of defeats their healthy purpose. So instead of frying brussels, I like to roast them on a high heat to get all of that crispy yumminess while still enjoying the health benefits.
This is a simple side dish that can go with almost any entree; I like to just toss them in the oven with some sweet potatoes and chicken thighs for a complete dinner on one pan. And they seriously could not be any easier; simply toss them with olive oil and seasoning then roast!
If you’ve previously been a brussels sprouts hater, try out these crispy bad boys and I guarantee you will change your mind! Dip them in some Lemon Garlic Aioli and you will love me forever. There I go with the dramatics again, but, really, you should try them.
Crispy Brussels Sprouts
Serves four to five.
- One and a half pounds of brussels sprouts
- One and a half tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Prepare large baking sheet with foil/parchment paper and cooking spray
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half top to bottom, or into quarters if they’re larger
- Place in a medium mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil
- Add seasonings
- Mix together until all the halves/quarters are covered with oil and seasoning
- Arrange on baking sheet so that the brussels sprouts are all flat, none stacked on top of each other
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, stirring twice to ensure even roasting
That’s all, folks! I hope these crispy brussies change your mind like they did mine. Eat your greens…and enjoy your pinch of crazy!